California is a national focus for employment litigation. The firm has represented employers, insurance carriers and individuals in employment-related litigation across Northern and Southern California. The firm has experience defending claims of sex, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, religious and national origin discrimination and harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, Sarbanes-Oxley whistle-blowing, wage and hour claims, breach of contract, as well as public accommodation discrimination. The firm also has experience representing employers and individuals in non-competition cases, both in defending against enforcement of non-competition agreements and in seeking to enforce non-competition agreements. Representative cases include:
- Successfully represented a California rental agency before the EEOC against allegations of gender discrimination in its hiring process.
- Successfully represented international retailer in a multiple-plaintiff sexual harassment and retaliation action.
- Successfully represented major telecommunications company in multiple disability, gender and race discrimination/wrongful termination actions.
- Successfully represented numerous clients in disability discrimination actions involving failure to accommodate and failure to engage in the interactive process claims.
- Successfully represented divinity school against claims by a seminary student and Ph.D. candidate that he had been wrongfully terminated from the Ph.D. program by school officials for failing to complete his coursework. Obtained summary judgment from the Northern District, affirmed on appeal by the Ninth Circuit. Later obtained summary judgment from the Alameda County Superior Court.
- Successfully represented a California brokerage house in a putative class action alleging violation of California and federal wage and hour laws.
- Successfully represented a retail business establishment in seeking temporary restraining order and permanent injunction for trade secret violations against its former employee in federal court.
- Successfully represented multiple clients in regulatory actions brought by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs.